Google Drive vs MS Office

“Which one is better, Google Docs or MS Office?” This is a typical question I get almost everyday. Instead of answering individually I decided to write this article. For those who are new to Google Drive here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Google Docs is a free web-based office suite offered by Google within its Google Drive service. It also was a storage service but has since been replaced by Google Drive. It allows users to create and edit documents online while collaborating in real-time with other users.”

In order to say one is better than the other you should work on both products for a long time and be able to compare their features. I have been using MS Office products since 1997. Google Drive is a new tool but I believe I worked enough on it.

Comparison is an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities.[1] According to this definition I should create a table, list the similarities and dissimilarities and comment on which features are advantageous and why I prefer them. After that, by counting the number of preferred features I should say one is better. This method sounds reasonable but there is a problem. Comparison is meaningful only if the things you compare are in the same group. For example, a car and a plane can be classified in the same category; transportation, but they are in different subgroups. A car is a ground vehicle so comparing it with a plane to say one is better than the other is not logical (if you don’t have aviophobia).

In this manner comparing MS Office and G.Drive is not possible. The purpose of two products is different. If you look at the logo of G.Drive, you’ll see that it makes storing possible first and then real time collaboration by sharing the documents. MS Office, on the other hand, is about creating professional documents with full features. I don’t expect G.Drive presentation tool to have all the features PowerPoint offers and similarly I don’t expect MS Office to create a platform for real time collaboration. In the future things may change but for today this is the fact.

However you can compare these products item by item for specific purposes. If I am preparing a presentation for a meeting, I’ll choose PowerPoint but if I want participants to edit the presentation during the meeting then G.Drive is the answer.

As you see, one is better than the other only under certain situations. I am using both products in my personal life and professional life. How I determine which tool is better depends on my personal experience and pieces of advice I get from my personal learning network.

[1]. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comparison

One thought on “Google Drive vs MS Office

1. Pingback: With Google Drive, the Dog Can’t Eat your Homework anymore. | Julien Martineau